Funding for Foreign Language and Area Studies
Each year the Foreign Language Area Studies (FLAS) Fellowship program, funded through US Department of Education Title VI grants provided to College of Liberal Arts area studies centers, provides almost $1 million in funding to UT undergraduate and graduate students from all disciplines to study foreign languages and cultures at UT and elsewhere in the US and abroad. Applications for these fellowships generally open in early to mid-November and close in early to mid-February.
FLAS Info Session for Summer 2023 and Academic Year 2023-24
For more information, including each center’s application requirements and deadlines, follow the links below:
- Russian, East European, and Eurasian Studies
- European Studies
- South Asia Institute
- Latin American Studies
Languages offered at each FLAS-granting center are listed on their respective webpages.
FLAS Eligibility Requirements per US Department of Education regulations:
- Is a citizen, or a national or permanent resident of the United States;
- Is currently enrolled in a program of study that combines modern foreign language training with an area or international studies emphasis or;
- Is engaged in research and training in the international aspects of professional and other fields of study related to the regions of each participating UT center;
- For Graduate Students: Is enrolled in Masters or PhD coursework, preparation for dissertation research, or, in certain cases, dissertation research abroad, or dissertation writing;
- For Undergraduate Students: Is enrolled in a program of modern foreign language training at the intermediate or advanced level.
Please Note: Awards will not be made to native speakers of the language nor those who possess fluency equivalent to educated native speakers in the language for which the award is sought.
For graduate students, awards for beginning-level language studies will not be made unless the student has advanced proficiency in another regional language and can clearly justify why the new language is necessary for their research.
Undergraduate students cannot apply for beginning-level language studies.
Funding for the FLAS Fellowship program is provided by a Title VI grant from the US Department of Education's Office of International & Foreign Language Education.